Is it Time to Homeschool?Dec 16th, 2010 | By Jessica Parnell | Category: Featured Articles, Lead Article
There are many reasons to homeschool from the need to help our kids catch up on academics to the need to challenge our advanced learners who are simply bored in school. Or from the need to get our kids out of a terrible social environment to the need to take back more time for them to pursue other interests such as a specific sport or vocation.
But for those struggling with the decision, when is it a safe time to say it is time to homeschool?
If you find yourself asking yourself over and over again, “Is is time to homeschool?” then step back and consider the following.
- If you find yourself spending hours and hours every night catching up on homework, it is time to homeschool.
- If your child’s test scores are consistently low or failing despite all of your effort to help, it is time to homeschool. Why? Because the class moves on despite your child’s struggle and there are likely some key foundational skills that you will need to address with your child.
- If your child is dreading stepping through the doors at school because of bullies and other abuse, it is time to homeschool.
- If you find that at the end of the week, you can’t even think of a day you spent as a family, you are too busy. It is time to homeschool. Although it is a commitment and you will have to work at it, you will you will gain precious time with your kids.
- If you find that the kids living under roof seem like strangers, it is time to homeschool.
- If your child is struggling with a learning disability and the school is not able to help, it is time to homeschool.
- If you are looking ahead to a move in the middle of the school year with no real plans for permanence, it is time to homeschool.
- If your child can out math, out science and out think the teachers and the textbooks, it is time to homeschool.
- If your child is ready to pursue his or her passion and cannot find the time to make it happen, it is time to homeschool.
- If you would love to just spend a month or more exploring our country or the rest of the world, don’t let school stop you, it is time to homeschool on the road.
If you are disgusted with what is going on in the schools around you, don’t believe you have no choices . . . it is time to homeschool.
I guarantee that the road will sometimes be tough but the rewards will far outweigh the struggles. And you will wonder why you didn’t do it sooner!
Additional homeschooling posts:
Happy New Year! 6 Solid Homeschool Goals for 2013 to Get You Motivated
Bridgeway Academy Brings Homeschool Families Methods to Set Goals and Reach Them January is a month to discuss things to come, energize, invigorate and celebrate the positive forward thinking that brought your family to this very moment in time.
Homeschooling in Germany-the Struggle for Freedom
I am certain most homeschoolers have been following the disturbing battle that homeschool families in Germany are fighting.